Camry hasn't taken to potty training with perfect success but she has generally done well. She gets a sticker once she goes potty and candy if she goes poo-poo. Well, even the promise of candy hasn't been enough for her to be willing to sit long enough to go poo-poo. (All you mom's know about that). This week I called her out. She has passing smelly gas all day, she hadn't had a place to "hide" that day, and she said her tummy hurt. So, before nap time (which I knew would be her "hiding time" and I would have dirty underwear to clean), I told her she had to go poo-poo on the potty chair. Once she went, she would get candy. Boy, she tried to make me take the ultimatum away. After going just potty, she didn't want to sit on the potty chair any longer and threw a fit (you know the rolling around on the floor, screaming kind). At this point I had to decide, "Am I really going to follow through? Am I SURE she has to go? Is this power struggle worth winning?" yes, Yes, YES.
So, I forced her to sit on the chair by gently keep putting her back on and we read a couple books. Then, knowing she probably needed privacy, I handed her a book and told her, "You need to sit here till you go poo-poo. You can read this book til your done. " I gave the screaming and rolling around about 20 sec, put her back on the potty seat and left the room. Not even before I could get back to Cooper in his room (who needed my help with Lego's), she was saying, "Candy, momma, Candy, momma." Sure enough, she had gone poo-poo. And we are all happier for it! This picture is of her happy face eating her sticky candy for a job well done.
Hope this helps with any power struggles you are having with your kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment