Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Busy at Work: Playing

Today, when I whispered into Cooper's ear, "I love you," he responded with, "I don't love you, only dad." He has said this before, usually to entice a tickle match out of me, but today I must have had a more sensitive heart because I took the time to probe into that answer. At first he said he didn't know but while I waited patiently for the honest truth he shyly admitted that his lack of feeling for me was because I don't play with him. Initially, I was really shocked. Truth is, I spend 15 of my 16 awake hours serving my family, most days. Out of my 3 kids, he is the one I spend the most one-on-one time with, on purpose. I probably spend the most time taking care of Capri, but I spend the most purposeful time with Cooper. We play games, do puzzles, work on handwriting, playing Wii, building forts and Lego kits, etc.
Troy believes, "Perception is Reality" and I hate that saying because I think it gets skewed to be "Perception is Truth." But in this case with Cooper, his perception of my lack of time to play with him, is his reality and I am convicted to do more play with him.
I have been pondered this quandary all day (as Troy was at work from 8:30 to 8 tonight) and I think God used Cooper's words to speak to my heart about my relationship is HIM. I serve God, but I haven't taken much time to delight in Him, to pursue Him, to enjoy His presence. I am reminded of the dialogue Jesus had with Mary about Martha. Martha chose to delight in Jesus, instead of serving Him; Jesus esteemed her choice. I would like to be just like Martha. First in respect my relationship with Jesus, but also with my kids. I want to enjoy them as they are now: 5, 3, and 0.
This is a difficult thing to figure out for my type A personality. I admit if some "thing" has not been accomplished, then I question the value of that time spent (for the times when I home, at least). But, the great equalizer is our time; we all have just 24 hours of it, everyday. Embracing mothering has not be natural for me, but that is another post.
Just next time you come to my house, don't say anything about the crud under the kitchen table. I see the crud too, I am just choosing to do nothing about it. I am busy (delightfully so).

No comments:

Post a Comment