Saturday, September 12, 2015

1 Week Post-Flight!

So much has happened in one week, it is really unbelievable how our lives have changed.  For many years when Troy and I were first married we had something go on every year.

2004-Tiffany graduated college, married
2005-bought 1st house
2006-Cooper born, bought Truck for Troy
2007-bought 2nd house, Tiffany graduated college again
2008-bought little white car
2009-Camry born, bought white van, bought 3rd house
2010-bought 4th house
2011-Capri born
2012-bought blue prius
2013, 2014 were CALM years

2015 is going to be a BIG year for change. 

How is South Carolina?  It is a "different place" to quote the lady I sat next to in the airplane on our way here.  I don't quite have the culture figured out, but here are a few things that stand out to us:
-People drive on the interstate like crazy people.   We are talking 85-90 in the fast lane, 75 in the other lane(s), when top speed limit is 60.  NEVER see any state patrol.  NEVER see police.  This explains why our car insurance is going from $68/month to $92/month with same coverage, same company.
-People are SLOW to get to work.  We are talking 8:45-9:00ish and leave at 5:00 sharp, which taking an hour lunch break.  Troy is trying to figure out how people are getting their 40 hours in or maybe 40 hours is just a concept....
-Fast food is not FAST, unless you are at Chick-fil-A...which of course, we are!
-There are very, very few sidewalks.  Like none on the roads and only in about half of the neighborhoods, but then usually just on one side.  We think our family biking trips are a thing of the past.  A big thing here is to walk the Lake Murray Dam.  The Dam is about 1.5 miles long, alongside a major road, and has no shade.  We couldn't figure out why people would want to walk it.  Oh, now I get it, it is the only wide sidewalk in the WHOLE CITY!
-EVERYONE said South Carolina is hot, like hotter than Florida.  I guess Columbia is in some kind of "bowl" that traps the humidity here.  However, so far, we think it is similar to Omaha, which has higher-than-normal humidity, too.
-The Targets here are not SUPER...Like not-you-one-stop-of-awesome-ness.  Boy, am I missing Target already!

I'm sure there will be more noteworthy differences.  We will keep exploring.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment