Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Santa's not real

Santa isn't real, therefore, we don't celebrate Santa in our family.  We celebrate Jesus.  (I know that you could celebrate both, but to ease my preschoolers mind, this is how we explain it.)

This fact really bugs Cooper.  Or should I say, it really bugs Cooper that other kids don't know this fact.  he doesn't care about Santa.  He cares about TRUTH.

Today, he came in the house, in tears, out of pure frustration.  He and Camry were playing with our neighbor kids (range in age from 5th grade to K).  I don't know why they were talking about Santa in August, but apparently, Cooper was mostly upset because Camry had joined the girls side in believing.  This lead to a good talk as to what we celebrate and how it is harmful to others to tell them that Santa is not real.

Today, I couldn't decide if my decision to not play along with the Santa idea was harmful (or at least not beneficial) to my kids.  I also couldn't really grasp how to help Cooper get over the fact that some things other people believe are not true. 

I have a kid who LOVES truth.  That must be why the I felt that the LORD didn't want our family to celebrate holidays with fantasy characters.  Cooper knows that whatever Troy and I tell him is truth.  There is no confusion in his mind about that.  However, he is confused as to how someone else can believe something that isn't true and when it is appropriate to tell them the truth.

What do you think?  How should I handle this delicate situation so that my kids don't ruin Santa for everyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment